Here are the relevant sections from the policy that I use:

Policy Setting
Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation Enabled
Automatic Updates detection frequency Enabled
Check for updates at the following
interval (hours):  4

Policy Setting
Configure Automatic Updates Enabled
Configure automatic updating: 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
The following settings are only required
and applicable if 4 is selected.
Scheduled install day:  0 - Every day
Scheduled install time: 02:00

Not sure why unapproved updates would fire though.

-Jeff Steward