I have an LG fridge that was giving us some trouble...  I called their help
line.  I kid you not, they wanted a CC # before they would refer me to an
authorized service technician.  I said I would not give it, and unless they
gave me a number I would call our AG consumer protection office and start a
process with them.

The company they referred me to gave me a couple of free suggestions to try
and to their credit, it worked.  Nedless to say, any further calls will go
to the company that gave me some pretty good advice and saved me some $$
than a company that tried to extort me.