We just went through this ourselves. We're a relatively small organization, and
had to update our very-basic plan to a
somewhat-more-detailed-but-still-pretty-basic plan.

The first step is to identify key applications and processes. That's why
templates aren't super helpful; critical apps and process aren't going to be
the same between any two entities.

Once you've identified them, you can then work on the rest. What would it take
to get those things up and running in the event of a disaster?

For instance, in our case payroll and accounts payable were among the critical
apps and processes identified. Our plan includes having agreements with other
school districts which stipulates that they'll print checks for us on their
stock and allow us to reimburse them.

The plan also needs to specify precisely who is responsible for what (we prefer
to identify by job title rather than name, since the names change). And each of
those people needs to have a backup identified.

Our plan is pretty simple--just a few pages. But it covers what it needs to.

John Hornbuckle
MIS Department
Taylor County School District
www.taylor.k12.fl.us