On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Brian Desmond <br...@briandesmond.com> wrote:
> So the WP7 (and previous generations of smartphone/pocketpc stuff) is totally
> separate from this.

  That's not really accurate.

  WinCE is an OS platform, much like WinNT is.  OEMs can license the
base WinCE product, and they get a kit with all sorts of things they
can use.  It's much more modular than WinNTis, or so I'm told.

  Windows PocketPC/Handheld/Mobile/Phone/whatever-it-is-this-year is
built-on top of WinCE.  OEMs which license WinMob don't get the same
bits and pieces that OEMs who license WinCE do -- neither is a proper
subset of the other -- but the core OS is the same.

  Various other products (like the Sync automotive stuff) follow the
same pattern.

  Kind of like the difference between "Windows Server" and "Windows
Home Server".  Same base platform, same API, different layered
products, different marketing.

  It doesn't help that Microsoft has been rather schizophrenic about
how it all fits together over the years.  They change their story a
lot.  Which, I suspect, is part of the OP's concern.

  (Note that WinCE is *not* the NT kernel or Win32 API or "normal
Windows" libraries.  It's a different OS, like how Win 3.x/9X is a
different OS vs NT, even if they share some code.)

> There is literally a TON of enterprise/appliance class hardware out there
> from all manner of companies running Embedded Windows.

  "Windows Embedded" / "Embedded Windows" is even less clearly
defined.  It can refer to WinCE, but it can also refer to the
NT-derivatives like "Windows XP Embedded".  The later is basically
"regular" Windows XP, but with more customization options and
different sales and support channels.

  Are we sufficiently confused yet?  :)

-- Ben