I run a Dell Studio with two 750GB SATA drives in RAID 0. Be sure you have
good backups if you go with that RAID config. One drive goes, bye-bye data.
I have a single quad core intel and 8GB RAM. I'm able to run 5-6 concurrent
VMs using VMWare Server 2. It's a little sluggish but it was cheap system.

If you go with SSDs for the OS (and presumably VMs), stick with RAID 1. The
performance of SSD over mechanical drives is so much better you don't really
need the added benefit of striping. For the SATA drives pick a drive size
that gives you the capacity you want and use RAID 1.

- Sean