From: Mark Robinson [mailto:mark.robin...@cips.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:45 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: SQL 2000 Licensing

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help please?  I am currently experiencing packet
retransmits between our remotely hosted website and our SQL environment every
22 minutes or so.  I have been through as many factors as I can think of with a
fine toothcomb trying to pin-point what is causing this error.  I can find when
the error occurs and which packets are being retransmitted, but I cannot for
the life of me work out why.

The Website logs (on IIS7) say that there is a "Transport Layer Error: The
connection was forcibly closed by a remote host"

I have tried numerous things suggested by the numerous KB articles and forum
posts that I have found, but none have worked thus far (updating NIC drivers,
turning off Syn Attack protection, temporarily disabling TCP Chimney).  I am
clutching at straws now, but I have found that the licensing model used in my
SQL environment was not designed to be accessed by the number of connections
generated by a website (I have only 100 'per seat / connection' licenses as
opposed to a 'per processor' licensing model).  I'm not even sure that
increasing the number of licenses will resolve the issue as I have just run a
perf mon which shows that I actually had 136 concurrent connections into the
database without the Transport Layer Error occurring, however I am assuming it
is 'best practice' to do so.

So I guess my questions are three-fold:

1)      Has anyone resolved this issue in the past?

2)      If so, what was the cause / solution please?!

3)      Can I crank up the number of per seat licenses in my SQL 2000
Enterprise installation as a test first, without buying the licenses and what
are the repercussions of this, if any?

I am looking to increase the number of per connection licenses that my SQL 2000
environment is currently using, in an attempt to resolve a

Many thanks,
Mark
Mark Robinson
ICT Manager
The Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply
Tel: +44 (0) 1780 761526 Fax: +44 (0) 1780 751610
www.cips.org<http://www.cips.org/>

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Internet communications are not secure and therefore CIPS does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of any e-mail message sent via this medium. The
content of any e-mail communication is the view of the individual and CIPS does
not accept legal liability for the contents. Although this message and any
attachments are believed to be free of virus or other defect that might affect
any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no
responsibility is accepted by CIPS for any loss or damage in any way arising
from its use.

CIPS runs the following software packages: MS Office Suite 2003, MS Visio 2003,
MS Project 2002. Please ensure that any files you send are compatible.

The Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply (CIPS) is an organisation
incorporated under Royal Charter and is based at Easton House, Easton on the
Hill, Stamford, Lincs PE9 3NZ, tel: +44 (0)1780 756777, and is a registered
Charity number 1017938. CIPS Services Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary
company of CIPS, registered in England under number 2610367 and is registered
at the address shown above. Both organisations operate under a group VAT
registration number: 3426 489 42.

--
Scanned by iCritical.