From: Paul Gordon [mailto:paul_gor...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 12 November 2010 6:24 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Forest trust transitivy limit?

I have an interesting conundrum that I'm pondering which has raised the
question of just how transitive are forest trusts?

With 2 forests, it's quite straightforward; with a forest trust between them,
the transitivity extends down the domain tree in each forest, eliminating the
need for external domain trusts between individual domains within each forest
(although of course shortcut trusts can still be useful).

But what about when there are more than 2 forests? - take a scenario with 3
forests: FORESTA <-----forest trust-----> FORESTB <-----forest trust----->
FORESTC

So there is a forest trust between A & B, and between B &C.... - does FORESTA
thus trust FORESTC?? - since in theory forest trusts are transitive, one might
be inclined to think the answer to this should be yes, but I'm not convinced
the transitivity is supposed to work this way...

BTW, the conundrum that has prompted this question is that I have a scenario
where I'm being asked to suggest a migration strategy between two AD domains
(in separate forests) that have the SAME domain NetBIOS name... (Ugh!) the only
way I see this being possible is to use an intermediate domain and a 2-step
migration, since it simply isn't going to be possible to migrate directly
between two identically named domains... Two different strategy suggestions are
under consideration for how/where to implement the intermediate domain, one of
which is to keep it entirely separate from the existing production forests at
either end of the migration...