In vCenter, select the host.  In the right pane, select the Virtual
Machines tab.  It will show you the virtual machines (guests) running on
that host.

-----Original Message-----
From: jesse-r...@wi.rr.com [mailto:jesse-r...@wi.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:02 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: VMware HA

If this is not appropriate context for this listserve, please reply
offline.

I recently setup HA for the first time.  Not sure if I did it right,
lol. I have 2 ESX vSphere 4.1 hosts.  Only HOST-A had VMs running on it
(14), HOST-B was empty.  Both hosts have the same processors, memory,
etc.

After building my vCenter VM and installed VI Client and vCenter
software,
I added the 2 hosts to the vCenter datacetner.   I then created a
Cluster
in that datacenter and moved my hosts (drag and drop) from the
Datacenter to the Cluster itself.

Now, all my VMs which were running on HOST-A, are showing under the
Cluster itself instead of HOST-A.  I'm guessing that's normal but...

1. Shouldn't I be able to see, somewhere, which VM is running under
which host?  (though, at the moment, ALL VMs are running on HOST-A)  I
can't seem to find where the Cluster shows which VMs are under which
host.

2. when powering on a VM, I don't have the option to power it on, on a
different host?  I see that, when creating a new VM, it asks me which
host I want to use for the VM.  I guess I THOUGHT when powering on a VM,
i would get asked which Host should run the VM, but it doesn't do
that...  So, if I want to manually move a VM from one host to another,
what is the process for that?

3. Was I correct in MOVING my hosts from the vCenter datacenter to the
cluster IN that datacenter?  Or should I have added new hosts instead?

Just a bit confused by this, thanks.

mail2web.com - What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you?