that is awesome.  Thanks Michael.

>>> "Michael B. Smith" <mich...@smithcons.com> 1/4/2011 1:17 PM >>>
Here is your updated script:

----- start -----
$root=([ADSI]"").distinguishedName

$Group = [ADSI]("LDAP://CN=Domain Admins,CN=Users,"+ $root)
$members = $Group.member

foreach( $member in $members ) { $ary = $member.Split( "," ); $result =
$ary[0].Substring(3); $result; }
----- end -----

If you put it in zippy.ps1, then to output it to a file:

        ./zippy >c:\temp\filename.txt

Which is a shortcut for

        ./zippy | out-file -force -filepath c:\temp\filename.txt -encoding ascii

Regards,

Michael B. Smith
Consultant and Exchange MVP
http://TheEssentialExchange.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Heaton [mailto:jhea...@dfg.ca.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 4:08 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Powershell question

I found this really simple powershell script that will list all members of a
specified AD group.  What I'd like to do is then pipe that to a text file.

Here's the script:

$root=([ADSI]"").distinguishedName

$Group = [ADSI]("LDAP://CN=xxx, CN=Users,"+ $root)
$Group.member

Now, this gives a nice, simple list of users in group xxx, but it is the FQDN
of the user.  What I'd really like to do is kick out a list of just the user
name, without the CN= stuff.  Also, once that list is kicked out, I'd like to
pipe that list into a text file, so I can e-mail it to a requestor.

Anyone know how to do this easily?  (Complete scripting noob here, btw)

Thanks,

Joe