I ran that command on the server in question, including the quotes around the
group name, and it just went to the next line, with a command prompt.  There
was no output.  I know that this group has permissions on the drive I'm looking
at.

>>> "Crawford, Scott" <crawfo...@evangel.edu> 1/11/2011 11:02 AM >>>
Try:

FileACL D:\ /batch | find /i "GROUPNAME_HERE"

Won't be the prettiest output, but should show you every path that specific
group has permissions to.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Heaton [mailto:jhea...@dfg.ca.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:59 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Security group question

I'm playing with fileacl a little.  Not able to get the /OUTPUT to work right,
keeps saying "Cannot open output file c:\Temp\acl.txt for writing CreateFile
error! (rc=123) The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
incorrect."

I've read the help file for /OUTPUT, and tried all the variations, all with the
same result.  Does the file have to exist prior?  I assumed the program would
create the text file for me.

Also, this tool seems to be for inputting a specific folder, and getting the
accounts that have permissions.  I want to do the opposite.  I want to input an
account, give it a file structure to search through (like the D: drive on a
server), and get an output of all the folders this account has perms to, and
what those perms are.

>>> "Michael B. Smith" <mich...@smithcons.com> 1/11/2011 8:47 AM >>>
You can do this with cacls / icacls, but google something called fileacl. It's
easier to use.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith
Consultant and Exchange MVP