From: Jonathan [mailto:ncm...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 13 January 2011 7:37 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: OTish? - Building a home lab from scratch

Alright ladies and gents, I'm looking for suggestions and pitfalls to avoid
(aren't we all?). I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I'm probably one of the
few tech heads out there that doesn't have a home lab setup, and I think it's
about time that I change that. We've had numerous discussions on this list
about home vmware setups and personal SANs etc, and I'd like to hear some
suggestions on what I should start with, mistakes to avoid, etc. I'm on a
budget - I don't have thousands to spend, but I've got to start somewhere.

Here's what I've got right now that is potentially useable (I'm not set on
using this stuff, but right now it is just collecting dust):

  *   3 or 4 old Dell Optiplex desktops (one MT form factor, and 2 desktop form
factor) with P4 procs and a couple Gigs of RAM

  *   Broadband Cable connection @ 10 Mbps

  *   (my wireless router just recently died)

  *   2 free standing two post 7 foot racks (that I was thinking about tying
together to make a 4 post rack)

I'd like to focus on Windows Server 2003/2008 & Powershell. Exchange,
Sharepoint, and SCCM are of particular interest, and so is vmware (I will
probably want to play with Hyper-V, but don't have much need for it.)
Ultimately, I'd like to include some Cisco as well, as I have a good (albeit
basic) Cisco background with PIXes, ASAs, and Catalyst switches. Oh yeah, and
Linux too...

Finally, I'd also be interested in suggestions for how to [legally] obtain MS
licensing on the cheap if that's possible - 120 day evals aren't really going
to cut it. Action Pack? MSDN?

Thanks,

Jonathan
A+, MCSA, MCSE