From: richardmccl...@aspca.org [mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:43 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Java JRE update MSI

Greetings!

Wishing to force Java JRE updates on my users (they sort-of update
automatically, but the user must click the icon to get the update to run),
I've been looking up how to get an .MSI file for the latest JRE version.

Unfortunately, the Java web site does not seem to work...

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/msi_install.xml

This tells you to download and run the .EXE file.  It then says where the
.MSI has been extracted.  This much is true.  However, if I finish the
install, then the .MSI file gets deleted.  If I abort the process, the .MSI
files gets deleted.  If I pause the process, then the .MSI file is either
"locked" so it can't be copied elsewhere, or if it copies it becomes
non-functional.

The referenced web site has a "Get Help Now!" button.  That brings one to a
pay-to-play chat session, "Most problems cost about $50 to fix."  Nice...

Anyway, the version to which we currently wish to force our systems is Java
6 Update 23.  Any successful methods to extract the .MSI for that version?

Thanks!
--
Richard D. McClary
Systems Administrator, Information Technology Group

richardmccl...@aspca.org

P: 217-337-9761
C: 217-417-1182
F: 217-337-9761
 <http://www.aspca.org/> www.aspca.org

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is
from The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to AnimalsR (ASPCAR)
and is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may
contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not
the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail,
and any attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me by reply email and
permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout
thereof.