Hello,

 we have W3K R2 x64 fileserver which has mounted some volumes from two SAN's
over fibre. Boot and windows file volumes are read/write and some volumes are
read-only(it's the SAN box setting) because there are Vsphere virtual machine
files in these volumes(VMFS file system) and Networker needs them to be
accessible so that it can do backups.
 Problem is the windows boot-up time which today was longer than one hour.
After that I just powered server off, unmounted all six read-only volumes and
after that it came up within five minutes. Usually the delay isn't so long,
server comes up within 20-30 minutes, but today the delay was extra long. And
the long delay started after read-only volumes were mounted from
SAN(Automounting is disabled with "diskpart automount disable").
 Nothing is written to event log and even the safe mode failed to came up
within reasonable amount of time. Windows stays in some undetermined state. We
can ping it but nothing else works.
 As the unmounting the read-only volumes helped I am inclined to think that
there is some problems with windows and read-only volumes. It can't determine
that they are read-ony and wants to do something with them? But I really don't
want to say to SAN box that map this LUN with R/W rights. I am not sure that
the windows won't write something then to these "unknown partitions" when I use
Disk management for example. Has anyone some experiences with similar situation?

Regards,
Markko