From: Durf [mailto:stygm...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:41 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: File distribution with local peer to peer feature?

Interesting - I'll look into that more.

Thanks for all your input while I was struggling through the snow, all.

The client is a property management firm, and the quality and equipment
available at each site...varies widely.   These are small rental offices and
apartment complexes and so forth, connected by VPN to home base, and most of
their apps are web-based, so the site bandwidth also tends to be low.

Anything that runs under a user profile (Dropbox, Windows Live) can't
necessarily be counted upon, as access to a particular desktop is spotty at any
given time.  We use Kaseya for management, so I'm looking to maximize that with
a scriptable solution that doesn't require anything to be running in userland.

Do Dropbox or Live Sync run a true background sync as a service, or does the
sync run as a user process?  I can set them up under a service account, but if
they require the profile to be logged in to sync I'd be out of luck.

They are starting to pick up Windows 7 though, so BranchCache may be an option
for some sites.   We're pushing for a cheap LinkStation at each site, but
purchases unfortunately require approval from each site manager, as the
property management company doesn't technically "own" each site, just manages
it.

Thanks all!

-- Durf

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:49 PM, David Lum