So because someone made a mistake you're condemning using them?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 1:45 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: OT: desktop network switches

Don't. Just don't.

Pull another run of cable if you have to.

Desktop switches are just wrong.

I speak from much experience here.

Just last month, we shuffled a bunch of folks around, and the facilities guy
was moving PCs and printers, and noticed that there was a loose cable attached
to a 5-port switch. So, not knowing what else to do with it, he plugged it into
the 5 port switch. Which meant that both ends of the cable were in the same
dumb, unmanaged, switch.
That's your basic layer2 loop, right there.

It killed performance for lots of people, until I tracked it down.

I've had this happen so many times with stupid 5 and 8 port switches that if I
could rip them all out I would do so in less time than it takes to write about
it.

But, we now have so many of them, because our wiring is so sparse, that I
can't. Yet. It's a major line item in the IT CAPEX budget for next year.

Kurt