From: Jonathan [mailto:ncm...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2011 7:54 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: RE: Patch management, revisited

Ray - you make a good point. We're covering 13 locations across the US, with
varying WAN connectivity. Also, number of sites are the result of past
acquisitions, so there has been a high level of site autonomy. We are the
first internal IT department for the org to work toward standardization.

This should be fun!

Given the multiple locations, literally from NC to CA and CT to SC, and the
history of autonomy among sites, any other thoughts/recommendations on how
to tackle this?

Jonathan - Thumb typed from my HTC Droid Incredible (and yes, it really is)
on the Verizon network.

On Feb 5, 2011 8:32 AM, "Ray" <rz...@qwest.net> wrote:
> The success of SCCM would have to depend on your environment. If you're in
> an environment with multiple locations that have had some level of
autonomy
> on hardware purchases, and imaging, and patch management, it could be a
> nightmare. It seems to rely heavily on WMI. Speed is an issue too, so if
> your WAN suck, you'll have issues.
>

> On top of that, MS support is at best inconsistent on how this is supposed
> to work if you have multiple sites. The only way we finally got a whole
lot
> of this to finally work was thru our TAM and whatever that support team is
> called. They spent days at our site trying to get it to work.
>

> I would hope most sites aren't as fundamentally screwed up as ours was
> however.
>

> I agree that the product has an amazing amount of power.

It