From: Mayo, Bill [mailto:bem...@pittcountync.gov]
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2011 3:19 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: OT: desktop network switches

Your argument seems to be that, because bad things can happen no matter what
you do, that you may as well not worry about doing anything that prevents a
clueless end user from bringing the whole business down.  As an IT
professional, it is generally your job to support the needs of your business
in the most economical fashion possible.  It is also your job to make sure
the right people understand the tradeoffs between saving money and operating
your business.  While a network admin can absolutely mess up and bring
everything down, a properly configured, managed network is going to ensure
that doesn't happen just because you plugged a cable in the wrong place.

If everyone in your organization understands that your business might become
non-functional because someone plugged a cable into the wrong place so that
you can save $950, so be it.  If, however, they decide that nobody being
able to do their job, take orders, or whatever for an hour while you run
around looking at $50 switches in everybody's office for the rogue cable was
worth significantly more than $950, they might rightfully question why you
did nothing to prevent it.  So, while it might *sometimes* be as simple as
that, if you have made this decision without the appropriate people in your
organization understanding the risks, you might find yourself unemployed.