From: Matthew W. Ross [mailto:mr...@ephrataschools.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:31 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: IPhone attack reveals passwords in six minutes

>   If data is encrypted with strong crypto, and that crypto's secret
> key is not stored on the device, then that data can generally be
> considered safe even if the device is stolen.
>
>   In English, that means if the security depends on a strong password
> the user must enter (and not on some magic the manufacturer has
> "hidden" inside the device), the password-protected data is safe.

... Isn't that only partially true? I mean, if the encrypted data is stolen,
isn't it reasonable to believe it can be cracked given enough time/cpu power?

I was always told that no encryption is uncrackable given the right resources.
What you buy with strong cryptography is an expected length of time before it's
cracked. But, that may be just what I have been told.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District