From: Steven Peck [mailto:sep...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:42 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Anonymous strikes back at HBGary with stolen emails | Leak
prevention - InfoWorld

Arstechnica has 4 articles now on it that are pretty good reads.  If you read
them in order it gives a fairly consistent view with the information as it was
coming out and what was publicly known at the time.

1.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/how-one-security-firm-tracked-anonymousand-paid-a-heavy-price.ars
2.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/anonymous-to-security-firm-working-with-fbi-youve-angered-the-hive.ars
3.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/the-ridiculous-plan-to-attack-wikileaks.ars
4.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/anonymous-speaks-the-inside-story-of-the-hbgary-hack.ars

It is more then speculation.  The initial action was taunting a hacker group
that was designed to be decentralized and seems to be run as a reputation based
social group where people participate to varying degrees of success in whatever
the heck they want.

The revealed emails show a law firm and 3 security companies working on
proposals for a smear campaign targeting journalists, bloggers and other that
disagreed with the clients agenda (which several disclaim participation now but
if you follow the chain it's rather nuanced claims).  The above articles focus
on the actions of HBGary and Anonymous for the most part.  The final article is
how the hack worked itself.  Other links within can be followed as you choose
depending on which aspects you are interested in.

The real lesson is, if you are doing secret stuff, shut the hell up about it
and don't taunt the unpredictable people who do random things.

Steven Peck
http://www.blkmtn.org
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Durf