That looks helpful.  Thanks, Michael!

From: Michael B. Smith [mailto:mich...@smithcons.com]
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 4:13 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Windows 2008 R2 NLB

There is probably a simple howTO out there for this, but this is an
excerpt from a High-Availability Exchange class I teach, that gives the
"500 foot view" of how to set this up, granted it's based on Hyper-V. It
should be enough to get you going:

Configuration Documentation

                All servers running Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
(evaluation)

                Exchange 2010 RTM + UR3 (evaluation)

                CAS+HT installed on Mail01, Mail02

                MB installed on MBX01, MBX02

                No UM, no Edge

                No Internet

                AD01                                     172.16.3.5

                Mail01                                   172.16.3.10

                Mail02                                   172.16.3.15

                MBX01                                  172.16.3.20

                MBX02                                  172.16.3.25

                mail.smithcons.com        172.16.30.30

                TEC-DAG                              172.16.3.100

Domain Setup

                Boot AD01

                Add mail.smithcons.com to DNS on AD01 - 172.16.30.30

NLB Preparation

                Add new NIC to Mail01, Mail02

                Mark all NICs on Mail01, Mail02 for MAC Spoofing

                Boot Mail01, Mail02

                Verify that all "Automatic" services have started on
Mail01, Mail02

Install NLB Cluster

                Add NLB Feature

                Configure NICs:

                                Mail01 - 172.16.30.10

                                Mail02 - 172.16.30.15

                                No gateway, no DNS, no WINS

                Rename lower-numbered Local Area Connection (LAC) to
CorporateNetwork

                Rename other LAC to NLBNetwork

                Update binding order to put CorporateNetwork first

                Create NLB cluster on Mail01

                                Use NLB network

                                172.16.30.30

                                mail.smithcons.com

                Allow cluster to converge

                Add Mail02 to cluster

                Allow cluster to converge

                ...resolve inevitable issues

Test NLB Cluster

                https://mail01/owa

                https://mail02/owa

                https://mail.smithcons.com/owa

                Drainstop both servers, illustrate cluster no longer
works, individuals do

                Resume servers

Configure NLB for HT

                Discuss round-robin vs. NLB for HT

                Discuss issue with doing LB of internal SMTP

On the Default receive connector on each HT, change to use
CorporateNetwork IP and the non-load-balanced IP from the NLBNetwork

Create a new receive connector on each HT, for the load-balanced IP as
Custom, port 25

Set Permission Groups for each new receive connector to "Anonymous
Users"

Remove Anonymous Users from the Default receive connector on each HT

Mark that the new receive connectors can relay email to any internal
user:

                Get-ReceiveConnector "Incoming SMTP NLB" |

                                Add-AdPermission -user "NT
Authority\Anonymous Logon"

                                                -ExtendedRights
ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Any-Recipient

Remove the default IP port configuration from the cluster and add port
25 and optionally 587

Show that it works (drainstop, etc.etc.)

Configure NLB for CAS

                Add ports 80, 443, 110, 143

                Import SSL certificate using Certificates MMC

                Get-ExchangeCertificate to obtain thumbprint

                Enable-ExchangeCertificate -thumb ### -Services IIS,
SMTP

                Set-OutlookProvider EXPR -CertPrincipalName
'msstd:*.smithcons.com'

                Restart-Service MSExchangeTransport

                Iisreset /noforce

                Configure profile for Outlook 2007 on AD01; illustrate

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

Consultant and Exchange MVP

http://TheEssentialExchange.com