To be honest, there is no standard template that you can just drop in and
use. The reason for this is that every business is different and the reason
for having a recovery plan will be different for each business as a result.

I can however give a few sage pointers given my greying, balding scalp and a
few years putting stuff together lol!

First of all, define which IT resources are mission critical to the
business, which ones are important, but if they were out of action for a bit
you could cope, and which ones are, well, you might notice if you could not
access them. So start dividing apps into buckets like that.

Next question, why are they not available? Actually, it does not matter,
flood, fire, data corruption, the reason is irrelevant, the key issue is
that you cannot get to the applications or data. So forget the why, and
simplify your planning ;-)

Now for the two most important questions in designing your plan. The
acronyms are RTO and RPO (Recovery Time Objective and Recovery Point
Objective). Basically how long can a business survive without a function
provided by IT (think a recruitment company without Exchange), and also how
much data can realistically be lost. So if your power goes out at 4:00 PM
and you have uncommitted transactions in SQL, can you afford to lose them.

The beauty here is this is not up to you to decide, you need sponsorship
from business management to determine this. So you need to explain where you
are now, how long it would take to recover, and how much data you might lose
based on your current situation, and pose the question around where does
management want to be in terms of RPO and RTO. If it's a few days for both,
your tape solution is fine, if not, then you need to start looking at
off-site replication technologies, disk syncing, and provisioning WAN
connectivity to allow for the loss of a single service all the way up to an
entire data centre or office.

Because you went to management and had them make the decision around RPO/RTO
you can now go back to them and say if this is what you want, here's your
financial outlay to achieve it. It's an insurance policy, and nothing more,
so it's up to them to pay the premium or not.

BUT

I hate it when a business give DR to IT. Why? They are missing the real
picture here, which is business continuity (of which DR is only a part).
Press communication, staff communication, consumer and supplier confidence,
there is a whole host of things that need to go into this, and when a
company puts it all on IT, that is plain wrong.

Last bit of advice for your DR Plan, put a communication plan in it, and
state clearly that whoever is executing the plan when the need arises is not
to be disturbed, have someone else on point to relay information about the
recovery process back to the business and leave the person implementing the
recovery free to do so. (take their phone away)

And whatever you do, keep the plan up to date, test and retest, and have
multiple copies in printed form at various locations so that neither
corruption of the electronic copy, nor fire or flood can destroy the only
printed copy you have.

Hope that helps.