On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM, John Aldrich
<jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com> wrote:
> The last time we got something like this, we got a Dell XPS
> laptop configured for gaming.

  "configured for gaming" should have been a clue there.  Does your
business involve developing, testing, or playing video games?  If not,
a gaming machine is the wrong choice.  In particular, the drivers for
gaming video cards are designed to favor speed over accuracy.  When
you're killing monsters at 30 frames/second, you don't care if the
seams don't line up right sometimes.

  For best results, you want something designed for high-end
graphics/engineering tasks, and certified for the software you're
using.  With Dell, that's the "Precision" line.  Both tower/desktop
("workstation") and laptop form factors are available.

  Now, since the usage you describe is fairly light, you could prolly
get away with a less high-end desktop PC (e.g., an Optiplex) and a
quality-focused video card (e.g., NVidia Quadro FX product line).

-- Ben