I did give Process Explorer a thought...however, I have, in the face of the
overwhelming evidence that this ain't possible, managed to convince
management otherwise.

I have managed to restrict the Task Manager window to the Applications tab
only, using AppSense to block out all the tab controls. After a half-hour
spent convincing the powers-that-be that this will suffice - I mean, users
generally don't know one process from another anyway - they have agreed that
the Processes tab isn't as vital, and they are happy for me to proceed with
the window restricted to the opening tab, fortunately this being
Applications.

So on to the next task they want me to perform. Which is finding a way to
remove the  buttons from the Log Off options on the Start Menu - yes, the
ones that are already disabled and greyed-out via Group Policy. They want
them removed *completely*. Ah, the challenges. :-)