Preferred fix here: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/975484

Carl

From: Jim Dandy [mailto:jda...@asmail.ucdavis.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 12:41 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Windows 7 64-bit SP1 fails

I installed SP1 on a bunch of test systems with no problem.  So, I decided
to risk pushing it with WSUS to subset of computers out in the department
(don't have SCCM implemented yet).  It seems that a large percentage
(perhaps 90%?) of those failed.  I have no idea what the difference is
between the ones that worked and the ones that didn't.  I've run into a few
others that have had similar difficulties.  We've been able to get the
systems back up with this

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/1c9a7151
-b48c-4a98-aae7-a4b82682ea8e#bcabda57-7338-499f-aee2-d708e76df315

I'm not sure what the implications of this fix are but it gets them back up
and running.

Curt Finley