Finally got a call back from eSoft tech support (firewall vendor). Their
firewall rules are hierarchical so where a rule falls in the pecking order
matters. Turns out the "webaccess" rule came before the "VPN" rule. As such,
the internal webserver address was passed to the web proxy and failed because
external DNS servers don't have our internal addresses.

Once the webaccess rule was placed below the VPN rule, everything started
working.

On an interesting related matter, the internal webserver in question was our
WSUS 3.0 server. Sure enough when the rules were re-ordered, I could get the
informational webpage from the WSUS server to come up on the remote PC but
windows update still wasn't working. Checking the %windows%\windowsupdate.log
file showed that the PC was successfully contacting the WSUS server and
identifying the appropriate udpates to install but the PC failed to download
the updates. A "DnldMgr  Error 0x80072efd occurred while downloading update"
error was at the end of the log. An error with numerous possible causes.

Here's what I had to do on the remote PCs to get it working...

* Stop the automatic updates service.
* Stop the Background and Intelligent Transfer (BIT) service.
* Delete the contents of the %windows%\SoftwareDistribution directory
* Flush the DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns)
* Re-start the BIT service
* Re-initialize windows update (wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow)
I had to do a lot of searching to stumble on this procedure to re-initialize
the PC's windows update state so I'm noting it here in the hopes it saves
someone else a lot of grief trying to setup remote PCs to update from a local
WSUS server.

Bob Hartung
Wisco Industries, Inc.
736 Janesville St.