I usually ask basic questions that show the candidates logic type as opposed
to pure rote memorization type questions.

What is the first thing you’d check if a user cannot login to the network (
old error – Domain controller cannot be found ) …

   Where I’m looking for a basic troubleshooting ability, and the knowledge
to start low on the ISO model ( ie,check the cable *before* looking for DNS
problems )

If they claim TCP/IP knowledge, I ask how many nodes on a 27 bit masked
subnet.

(soon to be an obsolete question under IPv6 )

I also would ask a question that you would not expect them to have an answer
for, and then see if they admit not knowing, or try to bullsh*t their way
through …

I’m big on honesty in the environment … no one knows everything.

Erik Goldoff

IT  Consultant

Systems, Networks, & Security

'  Security is an ongoing process, not a one time event ! '