>   You could always build a Backblaze Storage Pod.  67 terabytes for
> <$8000 in 2009.
>
> http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/
>
>   ;-)

This was near and dear to my heart as well... It's using commodity hardware
running linux software raid... which I know can do everything you need it to
do! Why linux software raid can't get over it's stigma, I don't understand.

> > (Remember, there is no guarantee it will.)
>
>   Some me the guarantee that $VENDOR's NAS/SAN/whatever box will do
> everything I want.  :-)

I was more tring to point out that the box you make will not necessarialy work
how you plan it will... for one reason or another something might not
physically fit together, or one part may be incompatible with another... Doing
this by hand you find that there are a lot of details which must be
double-checked, and the devil is in the details.

>   But one occasionally sees the idea that buying a packaged product
> means in-house knowledge and integration concerns disappear.  I get
> that all the time from other department heads at $WORK -- "All we need
> to do is buy $PRODUCT, right?"  Oh, if only it was that easy...  :)

I guess I'm lucky in that other departments don't know about $PRODUCT... Sm:)e.
They all just ask "Isn't there something that can do that?" and I always
respond with "Yes, but it's about 2x-10x as much as you want to pay for it." On
occasion I get asked to check anyways... and I'm usually right about the price.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District