From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 11:05 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Hex viewer?

Hey all,

  Can anyone recommend a good hex viewer that can handle files of arbitrary
size (i.e., doesn't read the whole file into memory at once)?

  All I'm looking for is a table of byte values with offsets on the left and
ASCII interpretation on the right.  If anyone remembers the "hex view" mode of
Vern Buerg's venerable LIST.COM program from the days of DOS, that's exactly
what I'm looking for, except for Win32.

  (I've got a 166 MB text file extracted from an ancient database table.  All
the utilities I've thrown at it appear to think it consists of one line roughly
170 million characters wide.  There must be some kind of record separator, but
I can't figure out what it is.
Or maybe it's fixed-length, but then I need to view it to determine the length.)

  I've done the Google, but there are a great many possibilities, hence my
desire for a recommendation from people I know.  :)

-- Ben