Sorry I could not get the notes I have on this issue for you yet, I forgot
about the holiday for the royal wedding today :-)

Typed frustratingly slowly on my BlackBerry® wireless device

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Cordell <ga...@ers.tcoe.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 18:20:25
To: NT System Admin Issues<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>Subject: RE:  Re: Re: Devices and
Printers Panel does not populate-- intermittent at boot

Hi-
 This is not a printer problem.  The Devices and Printers control panel is
completely vacant-the green bar at the top shows it loading forever.  There are
no Devices ( monitor, mouse, keyboard etc) as well as no printers.  I can get
it to "not happen" (with rare exception) by disabling the on access anti virus
scanning during bootup.  Once loaded, I can turn it back on without any ill
effects.  My own workstation (that I have been monitoring since December 2009)
has had everything turned back on for the past 7 weeks with only 4 failures
during that time.  This makes it really hard to troubleshoot-you cannot tell if
anything you did actually worked without many weeks of testing.  It has been
behaving itself for the past week and a half,  so I am back to waiting for the
next outbreak.
What I am hoping to find out is where the data that is displayed in the Devices
and Printers comes from, and what process puts it there.  Once I know that, I
can go back through my saved Procmon files and try to find what exactly is
going wrong.
Also, our department is a tree in an AD forest-no other parts of the domain are
having this issue.  This makes me think it has to do with the boot up
authentication into our local AD server.  Needless to say, it is not an issue
our main IT department is concerned with in light of the recent massive budget
cuts in Education in California...
Gary