This is the point where you develop a routine that lets you set
expectations.

Sir, we need to get your system sent for repairs so you do not lose business
critical information or do not have your work impacted in an unexpected
way.  While our loaner system is not great, it will let you work until your
assigned laptop is repaired.  The repair place is expected to take '(x+2)
days'.

(the +2 is for getting it back, testing it yourself and doing whatever you
need to get it back on your network.)

This is where leveraging language also can help long term.  Never use 'your
computer' when describing someones work equipment.  Use 'your assigned
computer' (laptop/desktop/system/whatever).  This is a company asset.  It
should also be an IT asset, not a business units asset (though that may not
be your companies model which if not is unfortunate).  If 'asset ownership'
is unclear at your company, then start making sure that all IT assets are IT
assets.  Use that language when interfacing with customers (assigned
system).  People get possesive, but you can control this perception a bit.
If you do, there are a lot of wins for you.

Steven Peck
http://www.blkmtn.org