SOLUTION FOUND

VIPRE Email Security has what's called Attachment Filter [was right under
our noses]. We are *now* able to prevent specific documents from being
attached and emailed by specific users [or department]. All Policy features
in the Attachment Filter tabs worked quite well, with minor exceptions [*see
below]. Our custom rule, "*(CLASSIFIED).PDF", stops PDF docs that end with
"CLASSIFIED" in parenthesis. All classified documents were placed Read Only
in a shared folder for all users. These documents will be given names for
the above rule to catch, i.e., "Standards for Dakota (CLASSIFIED).pdf". The
PDF documents are converted using Adobe security, whereby the users cannot
modify, copy /paste, or print. Using Sophos we activated "Device Control"
preventing the end-users from coping to Storage, Network, or Short Range
devices. The last step is to prevent these PDF [Read Only] documents from
being copied locally and renamed. We are searching for a good "Anti-copy"
software. It appears that there are some choices. programs like "M File
Anti-Copy" http://mini-products.net/ .so far untested.

It appears we have a DLP solution to look forward to. Cheers -J

Thank you all for the replies [contributions] including:

Justin Thomas: jat...@gmail.com

Martin Blackstone: mblackst...@gmail.com

Angus Scott-Fleming: angu...@geoapps.com

Jim Kennedy: kennedy...@elyriaschools.org

Jeff Steward: jstew...@gmail.com

James Rankin: kz2...@googlemail.com

Andrew S. Baker: asbz...@gmail.com

*The syntax "%FILENAME%" used under the Notifications tab oddly returned the
subject of the email rather than the filename (GFI case is pending)

*Earlier on, the Attachment Filter failing entirely. the result of our
Digital signature in emails. Resolution came by changing the statement from
"false" to "true" in
<ScanDigitallySignedMessages>true</ScanDigitallySignedMessages> found in the
directory \VIPRE Email Security\globalsettings.xml file

The latter issue dragged on for what seemed like forever [5-days]. After
several techs [3-4] it was finally resolved by Matthew D. (Nice Job!)