From: Ziots, Edward [mailto:ezi...@lifespan.org]
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2011 12:55 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Slow dns lookups?

You can check your DNS lookups via nslookup both looking internally and
externally.

You say going to webpage ( is this webpage internal? Or External to the
organization?)

I am assuming that all users are seeing the same thing ( Correct) or is it
localized?

What is the Network Bandwidth out the Internet Router? ( Is the available
Bandwidth Pegged? Which would make everything slow?)

Any issues with dropped packets at the firewall/External Router to the Internet?

Any issues querying DNS Server upstream of your business like L3 communications
at 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1.

Here is an example:
C:\windows\system32>nslookup
Default Server:  DNS
Address:  Internal_IP

> set d2
> set type=A
> server 4.2.2.1
------------
SendRequest(), len 38
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  query, want recursion
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        1.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN

------------
------------
Got answer (73 bytes):
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        1.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  1.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa
        type = PTR, class = IN, dlen = 23
        name = vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net
        ttl = 84623 (23 hours 30 mins 23 secs)

------------
Default Server:  vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net
Address:  4.2.2.1

> wwww.microsoft.com.
Server:  vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net
Address:  4.2.2.1

------------
SendRequest(), len 36
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  query, want recursion
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        wwww.microsoft.com, type = A, class = IN

------------
------------
Got answer (52 bytes):
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        wwww.microsoft.com, type = A, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  wwww.microsoft.com
        type = A, class = IN, dlen = 4
        internet address = 67.215.65.132
        ttl = 0 (0 secs)

------------
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    wwww.microsoft.com
Address:  67.215.65.132

You can see I did a fully qualified dns lookup for Microsoft.com ( using the
trailing . so that domain names aren't appended in the lookups)

Came back pretty snappy ( I would defintely put Wireshark on your PC and try
and see the response times, because you might be dealing with a Layer 1-2
problem at the router/switch/firewall interface or uplink on the TXX line to
your ISP, rather than your DNS Servers.

HTH

Edward E. Ziots
CISSP, Network +, Security +