I've used Avast for years. When the license comes up for renewal (which
basically means you have to provide an email address, real or not), it pops
up a scary-looking (to the end-user) red warning which will probably get you
a phone call, but otherwise it's pretty unnoticeable.

On 31 May 2011 16:23, Kennedy, Jim <kennedy...@elyriaschools.org> wrote:

> I was an AVG user for years and years. They started nagging a bit too much
> plus the updates were getting cumbersome. I switched to Avast a few months
> ago and I am very happy. You have register the free version with an email,
> but so far not a single email or nag.

"On two occasions...I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put into
the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able
rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such
a question."

*IMPORTANT: The information in this email is CONFIDENTIAL. If its contents
are disclosed in any way my lawyers will swoop down from black helicopters
like Seal Team Six and drag you away with a black bag over your head. They
will then take you to a secret prison and make you fight to the death with
other people who dared to share this email. You will be given a large bowie
knife and a supply of methamphetamines while I watch the said deathmatch and
wager vast sums of money on who will be the winner. If the fight becomes
boring or there is a stalemate, I will release rabid dogs and my two-stone
cat into the arena to liven things up a bit. If these animals become in any
way docile, I will squirt them with water pistols until they become a bit
more temperamental.*