On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Jonathan <ncm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> understand and agree.  However, if the boss says, "do it anyway," what
> approach would you use?

  I would avoid MS Windows, as it has a tendency to want to write to
the disk without asking.  (Due to things like updating the MBR for
various weird reasons ("disk signatures", etc.), auto-mount of
anything that looks like NTFS, etc.).

  Me, I'd boot a rescue Linux system (I like SysRescueCD) and use "dd
if=/dev/foo of=/mnt/bar/image", where "foo" is the source disk name
and "bar" is a network server I'd mounted.  Be warned that if you get
the syntax wrong "dd" will happily overwrite your disk for you.  "if"
is input file, "of" is output file, not hard, just unforgiving.

  If you want to use MS Windows, they sell these devices that plug
between the hard drive and the host adapter, and block all write
commands, making the drive effectively read-only.

-- Ben