From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 5:05 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: User accounts for shared folders

I see.

What you're saying implies that the infected workstation talked with
the machine hosting the shares. That's standard - and if the malware
is running in the context of a user that has the Full Control
permissions for the shares, it can strip out or add permissions at
will, without being resident on the machine hosting the shares.

I have found that all too often folks are given Full Control
permissions, instead of Modify, which is all most people should have -
the only difference between them is that Full Control grants the
ability to modify permissions.

Kurt

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 13:05, Tammy Stewart
<copper...@personainternet.com> wrote:
> Hi Kurt,
>
> It is the NTFS permissions on the shares. (right click folder> properties>
> security) (not who on the network have access)
> Oddly enough other folders that are not shared have all the usual accounts
> listed.
>
> It is a file infecting virus (chir.b) from a few machines hitting the
shares
> -- however the server that had the shares hit did not have the OS hit.
Just