From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: 14 June 2011 12:53
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Dell Powerdge Disk Failure

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:45 AM, Mark Robinson <mark.robin...@cips.org> wrote:
> I'm looking for some advice with a Dell PowerEdge server at one of my
> clients.

  Call Dell tech support.  It's free forever.  No contract needed.

  Here's my guesswork:

> The server has only four hard disks split into two virtual disks.
>  Unfortunately I cannot simply hot-swap the hard disk with the fault
> as there is only a single system disk - there is no mirroring.

  I'm trying to figure this out.  So...

Virtual Disk 1 = Physical Disk 1 (single disk) Virtual Disk 2 = Physical Disks
2, 3, 4 (RAID 5)

  Why would you do that?  :)

> If I remove the faulty disk,
> insert two blank spares, create a virtual disk, mirror them and then
> build the OS, will the second, existing virtual disk in the RAID5
> partition be available to the OS?

  That would be my guess.  But:

> Should I try and retrieve the data from the disks in the RAID5
> partition before attempting to so anything (if so, what would be the
> best method for this?)?

  Since it sounds like you don't have a backup of some important data, I would
start there before I started changing things.

  I would boot from CD and see if I could copy the data off to network or
external media.  Linux supports all the Dell RAID controllers, last I knew, so
I'd prolly start there.  If you're not a Linux guy, you could try UBCD4Win.

-- Ben

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Internet communications are not secure and therefore CIPS does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of any e-mail message sent via this medium. The
content of any e-mail communication is the view of the individual and CIPS does
not accept legal liability for the contents. Although this message and any
attachments are believed to be free of virus or other defect that might affect
any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no
responsibility is accepted by CIPS for any loss or damage in any way arising
from its use.

--
Scanned by iCritical.