I just had another thought.  Ideally, I'd like to install a new
Exchange 2010 Enterprise edition box.  If I did this, could I:

1) Recreate the mail accounts I need going forward on the new server.
2) Have new mail routed to the new server.
3) Export relevant mail from 2003 and import into the appropriate
accounts in 2010.
4) Leave the existing server alone for archival purposes.