The TSM product is great.  The support is bad.  The documentation is
awful.  Getting any kind of cluster (SQL, Exchange) working properly in
TSM is a bear until you have a few under your belt.

From: Steven Peck [mailto:sep...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:27 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Social engineering - new vector

nope.

Years ago we had an Active/Active/Passive Exchange 2003 cluster (don't
ask) and needed to configure it for backup.  The TSM documents were
non-obvious at the time and written for 2 node clusters.  So we opened a
ticket and got instructions back on how to configure a SQL server backup
and a link to some random external forum with some dicussion 'for
further reading'.

Being confused we replied, Not SQL, Exchange.  This cycled twice.  The
third time, we got a tersely worded email that said, "I have no idea why
you would want to install Exchange and SQL on the the cluster as it's a
bad idea but here's how you would back it up if you are determined to do
something the wrong way."

Parsing the instructions we got it figured out so we replied, "Thanks,
got the Exchange backups working.  Not sure why you wanted us to install
SQL on the cluster to do this, how do we remove SQL now?"

The resulting phone call cleared up the inital mis-understandings on the
support guys part and we thought it was funny.  Well, except the part
about taking 4 weeks to get the answer which I found annoying.

Admittedly, this was years ago, but this flavors my perception of TSM
support significantly along with the weekly emails from our storage team
attempting to remiedate virtual tape library issues.

Steven Peck

http://www.blkmtn.org