I am confused. I am trying to search AD by homeDirectory entries. and
then returning user name, login, etc.  And sometimes it seems to work,
and sometimes not ...

Let's pick a user as a test:

Z:\>adfind -f sAMAccountName=abneyw homeDirectory

AdFind V01.42.00cpp Joe Richards (j...@joeware.net) April 2010

Using server: ....
Directory: Windows Server 2008 R2
Base DN: DC=so-on-and-so-forth

dn:CN=Wayneshia Abney,OU=....
>homeDirectory: \\nt_san1\users\abneyw

1 Objects returned

OK, so we know now what this user's home directory (i.e., profile) is.
So now let's try and find that homeDirectory ...

Z:\>adfind -f homeDirectory=\\nt_san1\users\abneyw sAMAccountName

AdFind V01.42.00cpp Joe Richards (j...@joeware.net) April 2010

Using server: ....
Directory: Windows Server 2008 R2
Base DN: DC=so-on-and-so-forth

0 Objects returned

So why is it failing, if we see from the first search of what the value
of homeDirectory is?

----------------------

But sometimes the search by homeDirectory works:

Z:\>adfind -f sAMAccountName=LeoneM homeDirectory

AdFind V01.42.00cpp Joe Richards (j...@joeware.net) April 2010

Using server: ....
Directory: Windows Server 2008 R2
Base DN: DC=so-on-and-so-forth

dn:CN=Michael Leone,OU=...
>homeDirectory: \\nt_san1\users\leonem

1 Objects returned

Z:\>adfind -f homeDirectory=\\nt_san1\users\leonem sAMAccountName

AdFind V01.42.00cpp Joe Richards (j...@joeware.net) April 2010

Using server: ....
Directory: Windows Server 2008 R2
Base DN: DC=so-on-and-so-forth

dn:CN=Michael Leone,OU=....
>sAMAccountName: leonem

1 Objects returned

So what is the difference between the non-working first user and the
working second user? The search parameters seem the same, but one
matches, and the other doesn't. I'm sure it's just something simple I am
not understanding, or constructing the search correctly or some such.

Thanks