When I do this stuff in volume, I go ahead and escape the entire darn thing so
I don't get confused. I wrote an article about it a long time ago:

http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2007/11/13/working-with-binary-data-guids-in-vbscript.aspx

The core content being:

Function myADsEncodeBinaryData (arrByte)
    Dim str, s, i

    str = OctetToHexStr (arrByte)

    ''WScript.Echo "Length = " & len(str) & " '" & str & "'"

    s = ""
    For i = 1 to Len (str) Step 2
        s = s & "\" & Mid (str, i, 2)
    Next

    ''WScript.Echo s

     myADsEncodeBinaryData = s
End Function

Function OctetToHexStr (arrbytOctet)
    ' Function to convert OctetString (byte array) to Hex string.
    ' Code from Richard Mueller, a MS MVP in Scripting and ADSI

    Dim k

    OctetToHexStr = ""

    For k = 1 To Lenb (arrbytOctet)
        OctetToHexStr = OctetToHexStr _
           & Right("0" & Hex(Ascb(Midb(arrbytOctet, k, 1))), 2)
    Next
End Function

Regards,

Michael B. Smith