On 13/03/12 21:58, fnordware wrote:

I've never heard 1.7 called unstable. It's been out for nearly 2 years
without the need for an update.

I looked and you are right, 1.7 was the first actual release to support
the long file names, although the feature was added to the OpenEXR
repository in 2008. Since Nuke supports channel names longer than 32
characters, I'd think they'd be eager to support it in EXR instead of
clipping the name or whatever they do. But even if you choose not to
write long-channel EXRs, there's no excuse for not being able to read them.

The issue was that in 1.70, long channel names were added in a way that broke compatibility with older versions of OpenEXR:

http://www.mail-archive.com/openexr-devel@nongnu.org/msg00975.html

I've just tried this myself by writing out an EXR with a channel name of 35 chars long in OpenEXR 1.70, and OpenEXR 1.61 cannot read in the file at all, it throws the exception:

"The file format version number's flag field contains unrecognized flags".

Peter
--
Peter Pearson, Software Engineer
The Foundry, 6th Floor, The Communications Building,

The Foundry Visionmongers Ltd.
Registered in England and Wales No: 4642027