Hi Adam,

to add to what the others already said.
there are two methods to create nodes inside nuke.

1.nuke.nodes.Node(**kwargs)
2.nuke.createNode('Node')

the second method will respect your knobDefaults and also attempt to place and connect the node being created in the DAG as though it would be done by a user. the first method wont respect your knobDefaults, but you can pass any knob information as kwargs. the node wont be placed in relation to your other nodes and wont be connected if a node is still selected. Though all of this can be done with setting the input and the postion on creation or afterwards through python

x = nuke.selectedNode()

blur1 = nuke.createNode('Blur', 'size 10 filter triangle')

blur2 = nuke.nodes.Blur(size=10,filter='triangle',xpos=x.xpos()+100,ypos=x.ypos()+20)

blur2.setInput(0,x)

In the preferences under the script editor pane you can "echo" all nuke internal python in the script editors output. That often helps to understand which modules are used.
So it all depends what you are after.

The for getting Values there are 3 methods .getValue() .value() and .evaluate() .evaluate() will evaluate expressions on file knobs or %V or %04d into left 1002 (just as an example) only available on file knobs ?
.getValue() will return the index for a combobox
.value() will return the "content" of the combobox

Hope this helps

Cheers

Johannes