Cool - yep it's a MacPro 5,1. Cuda 7.5.26, Driver 10.5.2, OsX 10.10.5, and
whatever the current latest is for 10.11.5 beta.

Easily happens with iPhone H.264 footage, in the timeline trim the clip,
click drag on the left clip edge, as the preview window appears NS will
freeze within a few seconds.   Upon rebooting the Console.app will show
some 'killGpu' commands, which should be the GPU timeout protection.