I know it depends on lots of things - but would it be safe to say from
purely a processor standpoint - the benefits of more cores comes at render
time, but in an interactive gui session, a faster clocked 4/6/8 core
machine would be preferable?  Since single threaded horsepower counts for
quite a bit, and there's only so much that multithreading helps.

I've seen freelancers and one-person shows working from home that seem
happy with a single 20-36 core machine to take care of their rendering
needs all in one. But I would think that would be overkill at a shop with a
solid renderfarm - and you'd just need to focus on interactive session
power and somewhat disregard rendering.