On 8/25/06, Charles R Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Matrix rank has nothing to do with numpy rank. Numpy rank is simply the
> number of indices required to address an element of an ndarray. I always
> thought a better name for the Numpy rank would be dimensionality, but like
> everything else one gets used to the numpy jargon, it only needs to be
> defined someplace for what it is.

That's my point exactly.  The rank(2) definition was added by
Sebastian Haase who advocates the use of the term "ndims" instead of
"rank".  I've discussed the use of "dimentionality' in the preamble.
Note that ndims stands for the number of dimensions, not
dimensionality.

I don't want to remove rank(2) without hearing from Sebastian first
and I appreciate his effort to improve the glossary. Maybe we shold
add a "matrix rank" entry instead.