Torgil Svensson wrote:
> I'm using windows datetimes (100nano-seconds since 0001,1,1) as time
> in a numpy array and was hit by this behaviour.

> '1.0b4'

> 632925394330000000L

> <type 'numpy.uint64'>

> 6.3292539433e+017

> <type 'numpy.float64'>

> True
>
> I was trying to set t larger than any time in an array. Is there any
> reason for the scalar to upcast in this case?

Yes, because you are adding a signed scalar to an unsigned scalar and a
float64 is the only thing that can handle it (well actually it should be
the long double scalar but we've made a special case here because long
doubles are not that common).   Add an unsigned scalar

t+numpy.uint64(1)

to get what you want.

-Travis