On 10/30/06, Fernando Perez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/30/06, Charles R Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  I suspect the real problem is that the refcount keeps going up. Even if it
> > was unsigned it would eventually wrap to zero and with a bit of luck get
> > garbage collected. So probably something isn't decrementing the refcount.
>
> Oops, my bad: I meant *unsigned long long*, so that the refcount is a
> 64-bit object.  By the time it wraps around, you'll have run out of
> memory long ago.  Having 32 bit ref counters can potentially mean you
> run out of the counter before you run out of RAM on a system with
> sufficient memory.
>
> Cheers,

FYI, this is what is defined in Include/object.h

/* PyObject_HEAD defines the initial segment of every PyObject. */
#define PyObject_HEAD                   \
        _PyObject_HEAD_EXTRA            \
        Py_ssize_t ob_refcnt;           \
        struct _typeobject *ob_type;

#define Py_INCREF(op) (                         \
        _Py_INC_REFTOTAL  _Py_REF_DEBUG_COMMA   \
        (op)->ob_refcnt++)

#define Py_DECREF(op)                                   \
        if (_Py_DEC_REFTOTAL  _Py_REF_DEBUG_COMMA       \
            --(op)->ob_refcnt != 0)                     \
                _Py_CHECK_REFCNT(op)                    \
        else                                            \
                _Py_Dealloc((PyObject *)(op))

And '_Py_CHECK_REFCNT' macro will finally call Py_FatalError

'ob_refcnt' is a  Py_ssize_t integer, so I think you will not be able
to overflow it, unless in case of C code with refcounting bugs. Am I
right?

--
Lisandro Dalcín