One thing I see with PIL and Matplotlib and PyOpenGL is that they're having to add specific support for Numpy and numeric and numarray and PIL and ctypes etc.
I'm also in the camp that doesn't really understand this stuff well enough to really argue in favor of it, but would the proposed extensions make it possible for all these different packages to just have to support "buffer protocol" and magically be able to work with numpy or numeric without having to introduce explicit dependencies and support code for all those other packages?  If I've got the facts straight then I'd be happy to go and say that on comp.lang.python.

--bb