On 11/12/06, Erin Sheldon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all -

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
I think map(tuple, list) is probably the most compact,
but the list comprehension also works well.

Because map() is proably going to disappear someday, I'll
stick with the list comprehension.
  array( [tuple(row) for row in result], dtype=dtype)

That said, is there some compelling reason that the array
function doesn't support this operation?

My understanding is that the array needs to be allocated up front. Since the list comprehension is iterative it is impossible to know how big the result is going to be.

BTW, it might be possible to use fromfile('name', dtype=dtype) to do what you want if the data is stored by rows in a file.

Chuck