> Just to check that I am not misunderstanding: the version of pip should
> not be more than a year old; "decades old" is just French hyperbola? Do I
> understand right?

Yes, sorry if you can't hear my french accent in writing, I can hear yours :-)

There is also a "softer" requirement on setuptools which needs to be
recent enough to 1) understand requires_python on machine that will
_create_ the sdist/wheel. or 2) accept requires_python as a kwarg
(even if does nothing), for linux system that will install from sdist.
But by end of 2018 that will be a 3 or 4 years old setuptools.

> Right, the requirement is pip 9, which is currently one year old and will be
> >2 years old by the time this matters for numpy.
> It does turn out that there's a bimodal distribution in the wild, where
> people tend to either use an up to date pip, or else use some truly ancient
> pip that some Linux LTS distro shipped 5 years ago. Numpy isn't the only
> project that > will be forcing people to upgrade, though, so I think this
> will work itself out. Especially since in the broken case what happens is
> that users end up running our setup.py on an unsupported version of python,
> so we'll be able to
> detect that and print some loud and informative message.

Correct, we did that for IPython, got a large spike of sdist-download
from Py2+old_pip when we released a Py3 only, the spike disappeared
after a few days.
We still had a handful of bug reports from people thinking the "You
must upgrade pip" message was not relevant, and we realised people
pinned ipython with IPython==5.0.0 instead of IPython<6.
So the "Loud informative message" should also like tell user how to
pin numpy if they can't upgrade pip.

--
Matthias